For more than 60 years the CMML Clothing Center has provided new toiletries and new and gently used clothing and accessories, free of charge, to commended workers and missionaries. Clothing, as well as funds to purchase clothing and other necessary items, is donated from people throughout the United States. Organized and maintained by volunteer help, the Clothing Center continues to be a blessing to the Lord’s servants throughout the world.
Helpful guidelines when selecting items for the Clothing Center
Clothes and accessories should preferably be within 10 years of purchase and not too “trendy” or formal. Missionaries serve in a variety of cultures and contexts so we welcome stylistic variety.
Missionaries generally need clothing that is multiuse, such as mix and match tops and skirts, and business casual vs. more formal dress.
Clothing should be clean with no stains (check the neck and underarm areas). Washable, not dry cleanable material, is generally preferred.
Missionaries are always traveling. Due to baggage restrictions, bulky items are less useful. Light-weight warm and durable clothing, travel-sized toiletries, and items with creative pockets are all very popular.
Due to the volume of clothing received, our volunteers are unable to repair or clean the clothing that is sent. No missing buttons, broken zippers, or rips in the fabric, please.
Older shoe soles can become brittle and crack while on our shelves. Clean shoes, approximately less than 7 years old, that are multifunctional are best due to baggage restrictions.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have an abundance of certain items and a lack of others. Our volunteer staff has also been strained due to state restrictions and precautions. Therefore, we are prioritizing the donations on an as-needed basis. Please contact our Clothing Center Manager, Marilyn Risden, before sending any donations or visiting the Clothing Center to shop or volunteer. Your help in these matters is greatly appreciated.
Gently used, clean clothing for men, women, and children is always appreciated, especially boys’ clothing sizes 12 – 18.
Needed "New" (not used) Items
- Men’s/Children’s Underwear
- Disposable razors
- Non-aerosol hairspray
- Regular or travel-size toiletries are appreciated.
Frequently Asked Questions
Returning from the field they look for:
- New sizes and replacement items
- Updated clothing that fits American culture
- Clothing appropriate for a different climate
Going to the field they need:
- Long-term needs - various sizes, appropriate for the culture and climate
- Items unavailable overseas
- Items for specific overseas ministries
- A variety of clothing and accessories for men, women, and children
- NEW toiletries
Clothing that fits the following criteria:
- Clean - free of stains, no pet hair, no rips, no missing buttons or broken zippers
- Less than 10 years old, shoes less than 7 years old
- Washable, preferably, not “dry clean only”
- High cotton content for those serving in hot climates
- Multifunctional - good for layering or to “mix and match”
- Business casual clothing
Sizes 4-18, all items
Belts, dark sports/dress socks, short-sleeved shirts, swim trunks
Lightweight, collapsible handles, wheels, and zippers in working order Duffle bags, 21” carry-on’s are popular sizes
*Some folks purchase luggage online and have it shipped to CMML
Heavy, bulky clothing
Airline baggage weight restrictions limit how much missionaries can take on the flight.
Styles popular in the late 10 years are best.
Items that are extremely dressy or trendy
Current trends indicate that men’s and ladies’ suits are no longer requested.
Very unusual sizes
Preferred sizes are XS - XL
Large-sized toiletry items
Preferred sizes are travel-sized or “regular.
- Items listed above or at CMML.us/clothing center
- Financial donations to the Clothing Center Fund are used to purchase items in short supply.
- For assemblies in the metropolitan New Jersey/New York area, commit to Volunteer one day a month.
- Contact Marilyn Risden for more information.
- Awareness of CMML and the Clothing Center ministry
- Consistency with volunteering
- Strength for maintaining the work.
Deliver items personally to the Clothing Center at CMML in Wall, New Jersey.
Please call ahead before dropping off a donation (732-449-8880).
Mail packages to:
CMML Clothing Center
2751 18th Avenue
Wall, NJ 07719
(Please do not send packages to the PO Box)
While fashions and styles have changed, the goal of the Clothing Center ministry has remained the same.
“I’m convinced that many of your donors are sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit in their giving, and the Lord is behind every provision. I have to say that every time I’ve come to the Clothing Center there have been answers to prayer for provisions - and even some special surprises.”